Click the above Banner to find out more about the Sherwood Heritage Center and Museum.
"Old Sherwood Town" is only nine blocks in size, yet it represents a very large chunk of what America was about during the turn of the 19th Century. The physical Trail winds through these nine blocks. It begins and ends at the Sherwood Heritage Center. (Also take a look at our 2006 Web Page!)

That Nasty Mr. Roberts!

"John Roberts on or about the 6th of July had a row with two unmarried women on the streets of Sherwood. The women threatened his arrest. Then he sauced them. One of the girls broke her parasol over his head, and the other slapped him in the face. This one he kicked and slapped the jaws of the other one. For these things a warrant was sworn out before Justice Smith charging Roberts with assault and battery-- two cases because there were two girls." --Hillsboro Independent August 5, 1898

3 comments:

Lilly Morgen said...

My gosh! Look at all those lethal
weapons! I heard that Mr. Roberts wanted to ask one of the young ladies to a Play Party at Mr. Graham's house, but she was a married woman!

jaycee said...

That Mr. Graham sounds like a real cracker. Heeheehee.

John Brown said...

Even though I was dashing in my youth, I got discouraged at these dances and parties. I didn't dare dance with the good looking girls; if I did, I was sure to get in a fight with the other wooing men. I resorted to dancing with the mothers and grandmothers...at least that was safe! However, I never met the woman of my dreams. Oh how I can relate to Mr. Roberts's woes!!

Things for Sale at the Museum

A Place in Time by June Reynolds
History Book $30
Christmas Chair by June Reynolds
Reynolds Fiction
Heritage Trail Guide by Clyde List Trail Guide
The Folks CD The Folks
Sherwood Centennial Cook Book 100 Year Cook Book
Renaissance Singers CD Renaissance Singers
Melody Guy CD
Melody Guy

Followers