"Old Sherwood Town" is only nine blocks in size, yet it represents a very large chunk of what America was about during the turn of the 19th Century. The physical Trail winds through these nine blocks. It begins and ends at the Sherwood Heritage Center. (Also take a look at our 2006 Web Page!)
In 1911 "There was no railroad crossing at Washington St. and it was necessary for vehicles to go around by the Main St. crossing. The city council petitioned the railroad company to no avail. They were advised by D. D. Hall, a local attorney,that if they could build a crossing and have it in use for twenty four hours, it would remain for all time. Plans were secretly laid and one evening after the railroad employees had retired, citizens armed with the necessary implements hastily constructed a crossing. When the railroad employees arrived in the morning they found a busy stream of traffic on the crossing; so busy, in fact, that it was impossible for them to tear the crossing to pieces. So it remained." --History of Sherwood by Ronald Sherk, 1936.
Related Web Sites
Things for Sale at the Museum
History Book $30